Okay let’s be serious, these rolls aren’t just for dinner! I found myself consuming these for breakfast lunch and dinner, adding everything from Harissa, hummus, garlic and olive oil, to unrefined coconut oil with coconut sugar and cinnamon (I just sliced them into pieces and toasted them) It always hurts my heart when people say they’re on a “carb-free diet” Carbs are not the enemy, you just have to choose the right ones! Of course it depends on the individual, but carbs are not all inherently fattening. Most dietary fiber is made of carbohydrates. Soluble fiber is particularly beneficial for weight maintenance and heart health, as it also super important for maintaining a healthy balance of gut bacteria. Personally, I feel that instead of cutting out carbs completely, it’s most important to make better choices. Choose sprouted grains and complex carbs ( or “polysaccharides” as they have three or more sugars, and also include fiber and starch in their chemical make-up. They cause a gradual insulin spike, helping you to feel fuller for a longer period of time) instead of simple carbs (table sugar, white-flour baked goods such as cookies and cake, sugary soft drinks, and fruit juice concentrate, etc) Carbs are not all created equal, which is why it is super important to choose wisely, so you don’t have to feel so restricted and can still enjoy the foods you love!
Vegan GF ‘ANYTIME’ Rolls
Servings: Approx 10 rolls (or 12 small rolls)
2 cups gluten free baking mix (set aside another 3 tbsp to use while kneading the dough) ( I chose my favorite vegan sprouted high protein baking mix)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any other plant based milk)
1/4 cup filtered water
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 packet rapid rise yeast
1 tbsp pink himalayan salt
1/2 cup raw coconut sugar
1/2 tbsp unrefined coconut oil (for greasing the pan)
Note: I’ve also made this recipe using only brown rice flour, and also using farro flour, the difference will be in the density of the rolls.
You can also add cinnamon and more raw sugar if you want to make sweet rolls for the morning, or for a yummy snack
- Add all dry ingredients into medium sized mixing bowl
- In microwave safe bowl, add almond milk, water, EVOO and microwave on high for 60 seconds
- stir the mixture slowly for approx 20 seconds until luke warm
- Add the wet ingredients to separate mixing bowl
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, while whisking vigorously
- Mixture should completely mixed and a semi soft doughy consistency
- On clean flat surface, add 3 tbsp baking mixture and spread around
- Place the doughy mixture on top of the flour and slowly knead, making sure no dough is sticking to the surface
- Once the dough is not sticky, and is a smooth fluffy consistency, place dough back into mixing bowl and cover for approx 15 minutes with damp towel
- Using the unrefined coconut oil, carefully grease an 10 inch cake pan
- Divide dough equally and shape into balls (adding flour to your hands if it still feels sticky)
- Place the dough balls into the cake pan evenly spaced (they will touch edges once they have risen
- Cover the pan for one hour so that the rolls can rise
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for approx 20 minutes (until golden brown on top)
- Let cool down and enjoy!
Note: I like to slice the rolls into pieces and add hummus, or harissa. You can also slice them into small slices and brush with evoo and garlic, then toasting them in the oven to make crispy garlic bread, or brush them with a mixture of coconut oil, coconut sugar, and cinnamon to enjoy a sweet healthy snack!
I hope everyone enjoys!