Growing up, my sister and I always ate extremely healthy. My Mom was always very concerned about chemicals and preservatives. We were never allowed to have junk food and we rarely ever went out to eat. But, the one thing as a child that we ALWAYS got to look forward to, was the inevitable XL bowl of ice cream with whatever toppings we desired. So, naturally while going vegan, one of my biggest concerns, no more ice cream. This recipe is super simple to make and you can customize it to your liking by adding whatever toppings you’d like. The main ingredient is banana (I will also post a recipe for banana free ice cream eventually). The most important thing you must remember in making “nice cream” is that the bananas must be very, very ripe before being frozen. I let mine sit in a brown paper bag on my top shelf cabinet until they’re covered in brown spots. Another trick I like to use, picking them up by the stem and the skin splits off. This will ensure that they’re super ripe and super sweet. I hope everyone enjoys!
Vegan chocolate chip “Nice Cream”
Serves 1 (approx 3 large scoops)
3 very ripe frozen bananas (frozen for at least 12 hours, but ideally 24)
2 Tbsp full fat coconut cream
1 Tbsp unrefined coconut sugar or pure maple syrup (or whatever sweetener you prefer)
1/4 tsp pink himalayan salt (or sea salt)
1 scraped vanilla bean pod (not necessary, you can also use vanilla extract)
2 tbsp vegan chocolate chips or cacao nibs (refined sugar free)
Note: The vanilla bean pod is not a necessity for this recipe, but if you have any at home, I definitely suggest using them. There are also several websites you can order ground vanilla beans, which after purchasing, there’s no way I can go back to extract.
Note: For the chocolate chips, there are many different brands, just be sure that they are vegan and refined sugar free. I like to use Enjoy Life mini chips.
- Place frozen bananas in blender or food processor (if you have an older blender, you may need to cut them into coin sized pieces)
- Add the salt, coconut cream, vanilla bean, and coconut sugar
- Blend, stopping in about 30 second intervals, scraping the sides as necessary (the first minute or so it will begin to look crumbly)
- Scrape the sides and blend until smooth
- Scoop out into container and add chocolate chips, folding them into the mixture
- Put the container in the freezer and freeze for about 4 hours until the mixture can be scooped out (You can also eat it right away, as the flavor is the same, the consistency will be more like a soft serve)
I hope everyone enjoys!